دانشگاه کچ در ترکیه دوره کارشناسی ارشد دو ساله در رشته مطالعات تطبیقی تاریخ و جامعه را در سال آینده میلادی برگزار میکند. این دانشگاه همچنین دوره دکتری در این رشته را نیز برگزار خواهد کرد. علاقه مندان باید مدارک خود را به همراه مدرک زبان تهییه کرده و به دانشگاه ارسال کنند.
MA in Comparative Studies in History and Society and PhD in History
Comparative Studies in History and Society (CSHS) combines the strengths of the sociology and history departments of Koç University in an interdisciplinary Master of Arts (M.A.) program. The program, which serves a growing need in Turkey for interdisciplinary graduate programs in the social sciences, offers a theoretically-driven, historically-informed, and empirically-rigorous graduate education.
The CSHS M.A. program is a two-year degree program with a thesis. Students take courses in the first year and conduct their research and complete a thesis in the second year. The students identify specific faculty whom they wish to collaborate with on mutually agreed upon research projects. Mirroring the methodological diversity of its faculty, students have utilized a wide range of historical and sociological methods, including case-study and comparative historical approaches, quantitative survey methods, ethnography, archival research, content analysis, and a variety of mixed methods approaches.
The program will help serve the career needs of students in two ways. First, the program will prepare students who wish to continue on to Ph.D. programs in Turkey, Europe and North America. Second, it will train students who interested in research and policy-related positions in governmental, non-governmental and international organizations in Turkey.
The History PhD program at Koç University seeks to provide students with a strong grounding in the advanced study of history. The Department of History covers a variety of subjects but is especially strong in the following areas: Ottoman Empire, Turkey, the Balkans, Russia, Ukraine and the Soviet Union, Europe and the Mediterranean.
Our goal is to train future colleagues, and we therefore commit to providing all the assistance and advice our doctoral students may need. A PhD in history from Koç University, one of Turkey’s leading higher education institutions, will lead to successful academic careers in Turkey and abroad, although graduates will also find themselves in a privileged position to begin careers in government, non-governmental organizations, and journalism.
Through the main campus’ Suna Kıraç Library students will have access to a very large number of academic journals and books both on and off campus. They will also have access to resources provided by the University’s Research Centre on Anatolian Civilizations (ANAMED), the Suna & İnan Kıraç Research Center for Mediterranean Civilizations (AkMed), and the Vehbi Koç and Ankara Research Centre (VEKAM).
Interdisciplinarity is at the core of Koç University’s academic mission, and students will be actively encouraged to take courses from other programs of the Graduate School of Social Sciences and Humanities.
Program information available on: https://gsssh.ku.edu.tr/en/
Research areas of the PhD program
- Ottoman Empire
- Russia, Ukraine and the Soviet Union
- Europe and the Mediterranean
PhD program faculty members
Asst. Prof. Mark BAKER (PhD Harvard University): Modern European history, especially Eastern Europe, Ukraine, Russia, and Poland, the world wars and revolution, and especially peasants' roles in these events.
Prof. Dilek BARLAŞ (PhD University of Chicago): Diplomatic History; Modern European History; History of the Turkish Republic; Balkan History
Assoc. Prof. Mustafa Erdem KABADAYI (PhD Munich Ludwig Maximilian University): Dynamics of structural change and population geography in the past, spatial disaggregation of economic performance in history.
Assoc. Prof. Yonca KÖKSAL (PhD Columbia University): Political and Historical Sociology; State Formation; Nationalism; 19th Century Ottoman Empire.
Asst. Prof. Can NACAR (PhD Binghamton University): Urban history, labor history, late Ottoman Empire
Asst. Prof. Aslı NİYAZİOĞLU (PhD Harvard University): Ottoman Cultural History with special interests in the history of dreams, biography writing, literary life, and Sufism.
Asst. Prof. Alexis RAPPAS (PhD European University Institute): The colonial situation, nineteenth and twentieth centuries, Mediterranean history, transnational and trans-imperial history.
Prof. Zafer TOPRAK (PhD Istanbul University): Ottoman Economic and Social History, History of Turkish Revolution
Prof. Levent Yilmaz (PhD Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales): History of the Mediterranean
- Recommendation letters
- TOEFL IBT (minimum 80) or IELTS (minimum 6,5) exam scores
- GRE exam scores (minimum 156 with BA degree and 153 with MA degree)
- Transcripts (minimum GPA of 3.00 out of 4.00)
- Statement of purpose
- Written exam
The PhD in History program admit all students (Turkish and International) with scholarships that include:
- Full tuition waiver
- Monthly stipend
- Free accomodation
- Private health insurance
- Other benefits
MA in Comparative Studies in History and Society with Thesis admitted students do not pay tuition. Students may receive additional benefits based on academic merit and may be funded by external sources.
How to apply
- Complete the online application form before the application deadline: https://gradapp.ku.edu.tr
- If you are shortlisted you will be contacted to schedule a phone or Skype interview
The program admits students for the Fall and Spring terms each year.
Check the Graduate School website for more information about application deadlines: https://gsssh.ku.edu.tr/en
About Koç University
Koç University in Istanbul, Turkey is pleased to embrace students who have successfully acquired a bachelor’s degree and want to pursue a masters or doctorate degree in their area of interest.
Koç University is the meeting point for the graduate student who wants to improve himself or herself in their graduate fields or who is ambitious and enthusiastic about scientific knowledge and wants to set sail for new horizons in other fields they are interested in.
At Koç University, education is not limited to the campus, but integrated with the whole business world. Our programs are designed to connect academia and the business community, to prepare the graduate students to be socially responsible global leaders and provide them with various career opportunities.
Why study a graduate program at Koç University?
Academic and Research excellence
- 480 world-renowned faculty
- 16 Research Centers, 3 Research and Education Forums and 112 Research Laboratories
- World-renowned scholars are frequently invited for seminars and workshops. See some recent examples here
- Citation impact 40% above the world average (SCOPUS FWCT 1,40)
- 8 European Research Council (ERC) grants at Koç University, the highest number in Turkey for these highly competitive research grants.
- Accredited programs in Turkey, Europe and the United States
- 10,485 strong alumni community in Turkey and around the world
- Majority of PhD and Master graduates received job offers before graduation or within 3 months after graduation in top ranked universities in the US and Europe
An international and lively campus experience
- All programs are taught in English (except Nursing program and some courses in Law)
- 25% of graduate students are international and coming from over 50 countries.
- Over 200 global partners for graduate exchange opportunities
Full support for international graduate students
- For admitted doctorate students who want to further improve their English language skills while continuing their research, GLP (Graduate Language Program) provides English training starting from their first year.
- Full visa and immigration support offered by the International Community Office (ICO) as well as social and language integration activities
- Research, teaching and career skills development programs and activities offered by specialised support teams.
- 8th in the Times Higher Education Best Small Universities Rankings 2016
- 13th in the Times Higher Education BRICS & Emerging Economies Rankings 2016
- 36th in the Times Higher Education 100 Under 50 Ranking 2016
Check our website: http://gsssh.ku.edu.tr/
Information for international applicants: https://graduate.ku.edu.tr
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Call us: +902123381178